Follow


6.27.2013

GLMR: Ride for Hope, Healing, and Happiness

I remember just over 4 and a half years ago (December 5th, 2008 to be exact), we were having a party in choir class. It was a breakfast party. My dear friend Matthew Ludlow and I were playing i spy while we were in line for pancakes, when a messenger from the front office came in and said the principle needed to see Matt. We all joked with him saying, "ohhh Matt, what'd ya do this time??" But by the time class was almost over, he still wasn't back. Our high school is right across the street from Matthew's house, and even though he was sent to the principle's office, for some reason Abby and I looked out the big choir room windows towards his house. There were like 3 ambulances, and some paramedics and cops standing outside. I had no idea what was going on, but I just started crying. (I'm a baby at all times.) Some of us were just kind of wandering the halls trying to figure out what was going on. There were a lot of rumors going around, but we didn't really know what to believe. We finally found out from a teacher that Matthew's dad had passed away. 

Matthew's dad lost his life to mental illness. This is something so many people suffer from, and it's something that we need to raise awareness about so that we can help those in need. Every summer, Matthew's family holds a memorial bike ride for his father, The Gary Ludlow Memorial Ride. It's a really fun, beautiful ride and you should all participate if you can! For more information on the ride, how to participate, or to donate to a good cause, visit www.theglmr.com. I'm bummed that I have to miss the ride this year, because I'll be out of the country. But it's a really great way to get connected with other people, enjoy a nice ride, and get some good exercise! 


p.s. remember how Matthew asked me officially to be his girlfriend at the 2nd annual GLMR? I like him.


3 comments :

  1. I love this post! I wish I could make it to the bike ride but I find the whole cause really touching and I love you two together! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, i went to the website to look for opportunities to be involved, and it doesn't seem like their volunteer button is working. Any other ideas on what to do to get more info on helping out the day of the event? :) Let me know, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool opportunity! I'm sure my husband would love it. And you and Matthew, aka Roger?, are so cute together!

    ReplyDelete